Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Will I?

It takes a combination of discipline and sheer will power to avoid the foods you love. If it only causes a mild reaction your internal dialogue goes something like this: (Or at least mine does.)

        Just a small amount won't kill me. Maybe things have changed - I am healthier. I've
        been so good and worked so hard, I deserve it. Even if I do have a reaction it will
        clear up eventually. It's worth it.

And then you eat the desired tabooed item and shortly after you regret it and vow to be stronger next time - to have more will power.

But what is will power? And why do we instinctively blame it for failing us when we have a moment of weakness?

My father once told me will power is simply wanting one thing more than another. In this case, wanting the food more than wanting to be reaction free. I still have will power, my will has just changed.

Perhaps a better word for what we need is determination. To be focused on a goal and have our attitude set to accomplish that goal. Sometimes it works, other times I eat a bag of popcorn or fry up an egg. It's hard to be determined when you can't stop thinking about (and eating!) chocolate - for the fifth day in a row.

More than anything else, educating myself about food has made me more determined to live healthy. Learning about nutrition and how profoundly it effects the body has altered my attitude. Knowing the process my body goes through to convert the food I eat into needed dietary components has made me more aware and involved in the process.

I am changing my mind. Instead of will power, I will seek out inspiration to stay focused and motivated, forgiving myself for bad choices and learning more about what I need to take care of my body.

Learn more about food allergies and basics of nutrition. And take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment