Sunday, July 17, 2011

The allergen-free foodie on the road.

I have traveled throughout Ohio, Kansas and Texas this year, trying to find food options in local side-of-the-road diners, fast food stops and gourmet restaurants all while trying to figure out how to get my GPS to stop avoiding left turns. One of the best ideas I have had, is to know what I can eat at chain restaurants. Though not my favorite places to go - they don't have as much charm as local eateries and cannot tailor meals to my exact needs - there are some places I can depend on.

Chipotle, for example. They have a very clear allergen menu online that lists only the flour tortillas, cheese and sour cream as off-limits for me. My typical meal is a bowl with cilantro-lime rice, no beans, fajita vegetables, chicken, corn salsa, tomato salsa and, my favorite, guacamole. And if I am lucky, they will have fresh lime that I can squeeze on top.

Wendy's has some salad options that are Ellee-friendly too. They have an allergen menu as well as a separate gluten-free menu online. I had to look at the ingredients listed for individual items, which are found at the very bottom of the allergen menu. I usually get a salad with Ultimate Chicken Grill Filet. My two favorite salads are the Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (without cheese, but with the Pomegranate dressing that comes with it, while the pecans come in a small package and are promptly handed off to my husband since they are not Ellee-friendly), and the BLT Cobb Salad (without egg or cheese and with the Italian Vinaigrette dressing instead of the Avocado Ranch). Like most fast food places, their dressings are in separate packages that list the ingredients. And Wendy's new fries are vegan and gluten-free - that day was a good day.

Gas stations sometimes have roasted almonds or pistachios (that are not cooked in peanut oil). As well as granola or protein bars - Larabars are gluten-free and vegan with no refined sugars, but I am lucky if I find them in a convenience store. Instead I get a Nature Valley granola bar (I seem to be able to tolerate oats) or a Cliff brand Builder's protein bar, which is high in protein and doesn't cause blood sugar issues for me. The Cliff Builder's bar has oats and also lists 'natural flavors' which always makes me wonder, but so far I have not had a reaction - the vanilla almond and chocolate mint are delicious. And if I am really honest, I usually find a bag of salty, fatty, allergen-free potato chips to snack on too.

Grocery stores, which can be found in every single town no matter how small and out of the way, will have the same foods as gas stations, plus fresh fruits and vegetables.

More and more chain restaurants are carrying allergen-free menus and adding allergen-free foods to their lists. Subway apparently now had a gluten-free bread (though not dairy-free) as well as vegan, gluten-free brownies (which are delicious and cause my blood sugar to go crazy, but still - delicious). And some Jason's Delis now offer Udi's bread (my favorite packaged gluten-free, dairy-free bread) along with allergen-free menu that also lists gluten. By the way - Udi's contains egg, which I seem to be able to tolerate it when it is in a baked good.

So though it can be overwhelming when it has been four hours since my last meal (too long for my blood sugar) and we are on a highway with an exit only every ten miles, out in the middle of the Kansas plains, with a side-of-the-road diner once every hour where the waitress looks at you sideways when you say the word "gluten" - I am managing. And I can say that it is getting easier. Partly because I am learning and partly because the food industry is learning too.

No comments:

Post a Comment