Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cookbook review: The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook, by Cybele Pascal

Rustic Moroccan Loaf and the best gluten-free pizza crust I have made to date. The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook has already provided a few delicious nights in my home. Even my husband helped me devour the two loaves of Rustic Moroccan Loaf that I made to dip into marinara sauce.

Cybele Pascal has an interesting story combining a tradition of food in her italian upbringing with food allergies among her children, husband and herself. There's more about her life (including her beginnings of professional cooking at age 15) on her website: www.cybelepascal.com

She has crafted easy-to-make recipes, using few allergen-free ingredients, often including low-sugar or no-sugar options. Her gluten-free bread flour mix combines millet and sorghum flours - two of the less expensive flours that still have a good taste and consistency to them. My only modifications were soy milk instead of rice, and guar gum instead of xanthan gum.

After making one cheese-less pizza with her incredibly easy crust, I made two more, both double portions. Both with a basily pizza sauce. One topped with ground italian sausage, zucinni and grilled onion. The other with spinach, goat cheese and bacon. And because I love basil - I sprinkle extra on just before loading the pies in the oven.

Both of these recipes have been happily included in my menu planning. Soon to be sampled are the pie crusts and desserts. I have a feeling I will be very glad I own the cookbook. Here I come, cinnamon rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment