Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting back on track.

Sometimes with mild allergic reactions we are tempted to take a bite here and there. We rationalize that the effects are worth the moment of consumption. But it's not.

I have been tested positive for a long list of foods - including chocolate. Luckily, my results said I was mildly allergic - scoring the lowest on the allergy scale. The advice I received from my doctor was to not overdo it, to continue to eat my favorite food in small portions and not too often. She told me the more I eat of something that I am already allergic too increases the chance of increasing the reaction.

The last two weeks of daily chocolate indulgence proved that theory for me. Up until that point, I had not had any noticeable symptoms to an ounce or two of dark chocolate once or twice a week, or to the cup or two of homemade hot cocoa (made with stevia and soy milk). I buy the darkest chocolate I can find to minimize a hypoglycemic reaction to the sugar. I recently discovered 88% made with unrefined beet juice instead of sugar cane, made by Endangered Species brand. DELICIOUS. Lately, one super rich and slightly creamy ounce was thoroughly enjoyed - with increasing frequency.

First, the headaches started. I blamed the hours of computer work. Then, the stomach trouble. I started to pay attention, but still didn't blame the chocolate. Then the rash on my scalp and upper arms. Bye-bye chocolate.

I am hoping that by taking a break, I will be able to indulge again without these symptoms flaring up. I had the same experience with corn (which I also tested as a mild allergy) at the beginning of this year. I am now able to tolerate small amounts once or twice a week without symptoms.

So I have gotten back on track. I miss the little, low sugar dessert after dinner. But I don't miss the reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment